In order to create a custom Page Tab for your Facebook Timeline Page, you need to first create a Facebook application. Here’s how:
Creating your Facebook App
If this is your first time creating a Facebook app, you are required to “verifify” your account:
Starting this week [June 2, 2010], we are requiring every developer to verify his or her Facebook account to create new applications. This is the same quick process that users go through when they want to do things like upload large videos.
We’re taking this step to preserve the integrity of Facebook Platform, ensuring that every application is associated with a valid and real Facebook account.
You can verify your account by either confirming your mobile phone or adding a credit card to your account. Facebook will not charge your credit card if you add it to your account.
If this is the first time you’ve installed the Developer Application, you will see the Request for Permission dialog.
After the Developer App is installed, it’s time to create your Page Tab App.
- Click on the “+ Create New App” button in the upper-right corner:
- In the pop-up dialog, enter the name of your App (you’ll see if it’s valid or not, right next to the box, in green):
- After clicking “Continue”, you’ll be presented with the “Security Check” characters. Enter them and click “OK”.
Entering the “Basic” values for your App
Once past the Security Check, you’re presented with the Basic Settings for your Page Tab App, and this is the only screen where you need to do anything.
Your Facebook App ID
Besides the “App Display Name”, the only other value you need to enter in this section is your email address.
Integrate your App as a “Page Tab”
Under “Select how your app integrates with Facebook”, you want to click on “Page Tab”:
Page Tab Values
Now you enter the specifics of where your Page Tab:
- Page Tab Name: This is the name that will display below the Page Tab Image (aka “Custom Tab Image”) on your Page:
- Page Tab URL: This is the full URL to your Page Tab’s index page. It can end in .php, .html, or .htm, and it doesn’t have to be named “index”;
- Page Tab Edit URL: Not applicable here;
- Page Tab Image: This is the image that will represent your Page Tab below your Cover Photo (see the green “About HyperArts” Page Tab Image, above). Make sure your Page Tab Image’s dimensions are 111 x 74px. To upload your Page Tab Image (aka “Custom Tab Image”), click the “Change” link (circled above). You can change this at any time via your Page admin area;
- Page Tab Width: You will want to select “Wide (810px)” this is the width for Timeline for Pages custom tabs.
Once you’ve filled in the above options, click the “Save Changes” button, and you’re done!
Adding your Page Tab App to your Page
To add your new Page Tab App to your Page, you’ll need to enter this URL in your browser:
Make sure you enter your App ID where indicated in the URL. The “next” value is where you (or anyone) will be redirected after successfully adding the App to their Page.