This video tutorial explains, step-by-step, how to choose and secure your Facebook Page’s custom URL. Choose wisely, because one you set your username, it cannot be changed. The video’s script is included below.
A note on Capital Letters
An important note, that is not included in the video, is that your username can include capital letters. If you have a company name like “We Help You Move” with multiple words, you might want to capitalize each separate word in your username to make it easier to read (like “WeHelpYouMove” instead of “wehelpyoumove”).
*NOTE: You must have at least 25 fans to set a username (custom URL) for your Page!
How to create a custom URL for your Facebook Page
You may have heard them called “custom URLS” or “Usernames” or “Vanity URLs.” All of these names refer to one thing: the customized web address of your Facebook Page (Facebook refers to them as “usernames”). Ever noticed that when you want to share the link to your Facebook Page, you get a long messy URL with lots of letters and numbers? Facebook has given us the option of creating a nice clean custom URL instead.
Here is how Facebook describes Page usernames:
“Usernames allow public entities to easily promote your presence on Facebook with a short URL. This username can be used in your marketing communications, company website and business cards.”
If you pick the username “HyperArts,” then your Page’s URL becomes “facebook.com/hyperarts.”
It is important to note that you need at least 25 fans before you can create a custom URL for your Facebook page. You must also be an admin of the Page in order to secure its custom URL.
Facebook also says,
“Usernames can only contain alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9) or a period (“.”).”
We recommend picking a short and memorable username that reflects your company name or brand. You cannot change your username, so think wisely and ask for a second opinion when deciding on your page’s permanent username.
Now I will walk you through the steps to create your custom Facebook URL.
- Login to Facebook, with the account that administers your Facebook Page
- Go to http://www.facebook.com/username/
- You will see in a yellow box, the username for your PERSONAL profile. This is not related to your Page username.
- Below, you will see a link that says, “Set a username for you Pages”
- Click on that link
- A box will appear, and if you have more than one Facebook Page which you administer, you will see a drop down menu with all of your Pages displayed. Pick the desired Page from the list.
- If you are eligible for a username, meaning you have at least 25 fans and have not yet set your username, you will see a box that says “Enter Desired Username”
- If you select a page that does not have 25 fans, Facebook will tell you that you are not eligible. If you pick a page with already has a username, Facebook will display the current username, which cannot be changed.
- Once you enter a username, you can click “Check Availability.” If your desired username is available, you will see a box reminding you that you cannot change your username once it has been set.
- If you are ready to set your username, click “Confirm.”
- Now you have a custom Facebook URL! Share it on your other social networks, and you can even have it printed on your business cards.